Tranquility Release Notes
- Written using WebExtensions APIs
- First release with support for Chrome/Chromium browsers (all prior versions work only with Firefox)
- Ability to export/import offline content (please be sure to export offline content from version 2.0 and manually import into version 3.0.1)
- Reduced set of customization options (limitation of WebExtensions APIs)
- Removed support for background image and wikipedia/wiktionary search facility
- No keyboard shortcuts (very limited options available through WebExtensions APIs - waiting for more customization capabilities)
- Several minor bug fixes that were put off until this version
- Ability to export saved offline content to a .json file (right click on link at the top of the list of offline files available and select "Save As", to save as a .json file. This file can be imported into future versions of Tranquility.
- Moved Menu to the bottom of the window; hide it faster (less obtrusive)
- Tranquility font size will override the page specific cached zoom level
- Support for a background image (FilePicker to select local file)
- Support for custom hex color codes for background, font, links, annotation highlighting
- Converted some hard coded string values to use localization
- Reduced complexity by eliminating support for defaultFontColor and defaultBackgroundColor etc.
- Removed support for Firefox versions prior to Firefox 20.0
- No longer detect documents with minimal content and no longer warn about document still loading (did not help the user experience; more negative feedback than positive regarding these features)
- Now when offline reading list is requested when the active tab is not in tranquility view (or not a html document, such as the "New Tab" view), then the offline reading list is opened in a new tab.
- Check private browsing mode and alert that "Read Later" functionality is not available.
- Minor changes to menu show/hide logic. The menu is now almost completely hidden, and the expand menu button (+) is now moved to the top right of the browser window. so that when printing the page, neither the menu nor the button obscure the text on the page.
- Handle url's that point to text files better. Files that have only preformatted content were not being processed correctly (line breaks were being removed from the preformatted contents also).
- Ability to edit notes/annotations.
- Minor algorithm changes to remove additional hidden elements.
- Autohide menu after a few seconds for improved readability.
- Ability to add notes and annotations to offline content; Select a portion of the text and right click to get the context menu "Tranquility - Add Annotation" to add a new annotation.
- A summary of all the annotations is available via the "View Notes" button. This is a convenient way to collate all notes and compile them for a report (or for later review).
- The layout of the tranquility mode has been streamlined and given a more minimal appearance. Buttons have been moved from the side to the top. The reading area border has been removed to improve readability.
- "Read Later" functionality to store tranquility view of pages for offline reading
- Support for customization of link color, line width, text-justification
- Bug fix for a corner case where the tranquility view reversed the display order of all paragraphs in the web page
- Non-English users can now select the Wikipedia language of choice from the Preferences window
- Images and Preformatted content will be resized to fit within the reading width
- Additional support for multi-page articles. A navigation pane is provided at the top
and bottom of the web page to navigate to the Next or Previous page
or to a specific numbered page/link, if available
- Modification of code to use String Bundles to allow for localization
- Improved handling of formatted links in the Tranquil Browsing Mode
- If the Print or Single Page View does not return sufficient content
Tranquility will now try to process the original page. This may help in some cases where
the Print or Single Page View is available only to registered/premium
- Users can now select the pruning strategy used by Tranquility in its attempt to get a
readable web page. The default option is a Conservative pruning strategy.
The Moderate and Aggressive pruning strategies may result
in truncation of relevant/useful content depending on the structure of the web page
- Tranquility ToolBar button provides direct access to Tranquility Preferences
- Additional preference to enable PAUSE/BREAK button as a single keystroke shortcut
for heavy users of Tranquility. This shortcut is disabled by default
- Ability to customize background color and font color (or revert back to the defaults)
- Additional links are now available through a "More Links" button
- Tranquil Browsing Mode is enabled by default. In this mode, left clicking
on a link in the Tranquility view will also open the link URL in the
Tranquility view in the current tab. Ctrl+Left Click will open the link URL in the
Tranquility view in a new tab
- The main article s grayed out when viewing the Wiki panel or the "More Links" panel
- If a web page has not completed loading fully, Tranquility will wait for it to
complete loading before processing the document
- Tranquility informs you when a web page has very little text content and reverts back
to the original web page view. You can always force Tranquility to proceed anyway and
show you the Tranquility view
- FreeDictionary has been replaced with Wiktionary (no ads)
- Bug fixes to improve handling of certain webpages
- Improved handling of some web sites that were not processed correctly
- Preliminary support for HTML5 tags (article, section)
- Clicking outside the wikipedia/freedictionary.org panel will hide the panel. This is more
user friendly than clicking on the toolbar button or keyboard shortcut options to hide the
- Fixed bug in font-size modification code
- Preference settings accessbile now through the Tools menu
- Keyboard access-keys added to Tools menu items
- Preference changes will update all tabs in the tranquility mode immediately. Prior to
1.0.4, the preference changes would take effect only the next time Tranquility is run
- Wider range of font-sizes are now available (up to 64px)
- Ability to select text in the tranquility mode and right click to search wikipedia or
- Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+D will toggle visibility of freedictionary.org query/panel
- Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+W will toggle visibility of wikipedia query/panel
- Clicking on the toolbar button will hide the wikipedia/freedictionary.org panel if it
is visible; else, it will toggle the view with the orginal web content
- New preference to control the width of the readable portion of the webpage
- Toolbar button size changed based on AMO review feedback
- Toolbar button position changed based on original review feedback
- Ability to customize the font-family and font-size through preferences. These changes
will take effect only on the subsequent webpages on which Tranquility is run
- Invoke tranquility via Toolbar icon, Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or right click context
menu to open link in a new tab
- Unlike iReader and Readability, compatible with NoScript
- Preliminary support for multi-page documents (where a print view of a single page view
- Ability to disable the background image from the preferences window
Back to Tranquility main page